Last year, NYSNA took a big step forward. After years of discussion and debate, members voted to restructure the Convention, our highest governing body, to make it more democratic and accountable.
Starting in the Spring of 2018, each local bargaining unit will vote for co-workers to represent them at our annual Convention. This is an exciting opportunity for NYSNA members to shape the direction of our union.
Elections will be held in each local bargaining unit in June 2018. Elections for retired delegates, and for members not in an LBU will be conducted by mail during the same time period.
Nominations for Convention delegate open May 1st.
In addition to the president or chair, each local bargaining unit will be able to elect at least one delegate. Larger facilities will elect more delegates based on a formula for proportional representation: 1 delegate for every 50 members up to 200, then 1 delegate for every 100 members over 200.
Retired members in each region also get to elect delegates, as well as non-bargaining unit members, based on the same formula. For more details, refer to the Delegate Election Policy.
Delegates will serve for a three-year term, and the union is committed to providing support for travel and lodging, so we can hear from ALL of the nurses in New York State.
Candidates must be members in good standing, in a non-supervisory, non-managerial position within the meaning of the National Labor Relations Act, and be prepared to:
- Attend the annual convention in New York City, December 7-8, 2018
- Attend the convention in 2019 and 2020, once the dates and locations are determined
- Participate in a delegate orientation in your area
- Review pre-convention materials and discuss the issues with your co-workers
- Join a pre-convention inter-regional meeting to hear from NYSNA members in your area
- Bring your co-workers’ perspectives and priorities to the Convention and actively participate in the discussion and debate
- Report back to members in your local bargaining unit, so they know what happened at Convention
- Work with other delegates to carry out the decisions you make at Convention, both in your facility and in your local area