NYSNA has assisted the AFYA Foundation in Yonkers since 2017 by recruiting volunteers to sort donations of medical supplies for those in need.
They are currently working in partnership with US-Ukraine-Foundation and others, to help Ukraine prepare by supporting providers on the front lines with the supplies they need to respond to the wounded. They need your help in packing pallets of wound care, and surgical and biomedical equipment.
Nurses and healthcare professionals are important volunteers in this work as they understand what the equipment is and what it is used for. NYSNA is seeking 40 volunteers for Thursday, May 26 from 9:00 a.m. - Noon. We will provide breakfast and a boxed lunch, as well as bus transportation with pick up locations in Brooklyn (Flatbush Ext. in front of LIU at 7:45 a.m.) and Manhattan (NYSNA Headquarters, 131 W. 33rd Street at 8:15 a.m.).
Members can also drive to the warehouse at 140 Saw Mill River Rd, Yonkers, NY 10701, however, you must register with NYSNA via the link below and provide proof of vaccination.
- Must register online with NYSNA, no walk-ins
- AFYA staff will give you an orientation once you arrive
- Must wear mask and gloves the whole volunteer period
- Only vaccinated volunteers will be permitted
- You will be standing for long periods of time; wear comfortable shoes and clothing
Please register here if you can volunteer on Thursday, May 26.
If you aren’t able to volunteer on May 26 but want to contribute, here’s how you can help:
- DONATE: You can donate to the AFYA Foundation, which will help with the cost of international shipments
- COLLECT/PURCHASE: AFYA is collecting specific goods, which you can either purchase via their Amazon wish list
- OR BRING SUPPLIES you collect to AFYA from this list of needed items:
- Flashlights and batteries
- Baby diapers
- Adult diapers
- First aid kits
- Face masks
- Hand sanitizer
- Personal Hygiene kits which include Soap, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Dental floss, Deodorant, Shampoo, Razor
- Shaving cream
- Over the counter kits which include Aspirin, Acetaminophen, cough medicine, Oxymeters, ace bandages, compression bandages
- VOLUNTEER: On a different date and time to help at the warehouse sorting the surplus supplies received. Sign up here, and thanks for your support.