Important Deadlines and Voter Info for 2021
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, New York City has expanded ways registered voters can make their voices heard this election! For the primary election on June 22, you can vote early, by mail, or on Election Day.
Use the Voter Registration and Poll Site Search at nyc.pollsitelocator.com to check your voter registration, find your poll site location and hours.
Ranked Choice Voting
Ranked Choice Voting is here in New York City! For the 2021 primary and special elections, voters can now rank up to 5 candidates in order of preference on their ballot, instead of only one candidate. NYC voters will see Ranked Choice Voting for the following elections: Mayor, Public Advocate, Comptroller, Borough President, and City Council.
Helpful tips for RCV
- Pick your 1st choice candidate and completely fill in the oval next to their name under the 1st column.
- If you have a 2nd choice candidate, fill in the oval next to their name under the 2nd column.
- You can rank up to five candidates. You can still vote for only one candidate if you prefer. However, ranking other candidates does not harm your 1st choice.
- If you want to vote for one candidate, you can still fill in for your only your candidate under the 1st choice rank.
- Do not rank a candidate more than once!
- Do not give multiple candidates the same ranking or your vote will be invalid! (I.e. ranking multiple candidates for the same 1st place bubble)
You can vote in person ahead of Election Day starting June 12 until June 20. Please note that polling location and hours may differ from your Election Day poll site. Check out nyc.pollsitelocator.com to confirm your Early Voting poll location.
Absentee Ballot/Vote by Mail
Due to COVID-19, all NYC voters are eligible to vote by mail. To vote by mail you must request an absentee ballot from the NYC Board of Elections. You can request an absentee ballot online, by mail, or by phone. Your ballot must be postmarked by June 22, 2021 if mailed, or can be dropped off at a ballot box.
Ways to request a ballot
- Online: Request Absentee Ballot
- Mail: Fill out a paper request form and mail it to your local NYC Board of Elections office.
- Phone: Call the NYC Board of Elections to ask for a ballot request form. Call 1-866-VOTE-NYC (1-866-868-3692).
- Early Voting: Saturday, June 12 to Sunday, June 20
- Absentee ballot request deadline: Tuesday, June 15
- Primary Day: Tuesday, June 22
- Deadline to return Absentee ballot: Tuesday, June 22