2024 Application Deadline: July 1, 2024
The Secor Scholarship Fund, established in 2007, was made possible by a generous bequest by long-time NYSNA member Jane Secor, PhD, RN. Dr. Secor stipulated that the endowment be used for furthering nursing education.
Two Secor Scholarships will be awarded annually:
- $5,000 to a NYSNA member seeking a baccalaureate (or higher) degree in nursing.
- $5,000 to a family member of a NYSNA member seeking a first degree in nursing. The degree can be at any level, but it must be the first degree in nursing sought by the applicant.
A family member is defined as a: spouse, domestic partner, dependent child, grandchild, niece or nephew. Half of the endowment ($2,500) will be disbursed at the time that the scholarship is awarded. The second half of the endowment will be disbursed upon submission of an official transcript for the first semester, showing maintenance of at least a 3.4 GPA (out of 4.0) (see “Eligibility” below). Application deadline for the 2024 Secor Scholarship is July 1, 2024.
PLEASE NOTE: All Secor Scholarship applicants, both NYSNA Members and Family Members of NYSNA members, must be actively enrolled in their respective nursing programs in the Fall of 2024. If you graduate prior to the Fall of 2024, you will not be eligible for the Secor Scholarship.
- There is a lifetime maximum award of two scholarship awards for an individual.
- Applications will not be held over. Re-application is required.
- Current members and family members of the NYSNA board of directors, scholarship selection committee, and NYSNA staff are not eligible for consideration of scholarships.
Scholarship for Member seeking baccalaureate or higher degree
- Current NYSNA membership
- Maintain NYSNA membership during the award period unless extenuating circumstances arise that will be considered by the committee
- Acceptance to (or enrollment in) a college or university with an accredited nursing program, active in the Fall of 2023
- Maintenance in previous institution (last degree completed) of a minimum of a 3.4 cumulative GPA (out of 4.0)
- Scholarship Application/Reference Sheet (above)
- Resume/curriculum vitae
- Two references (reference sheet must be used). One reference letter must be from a registered professional nurse. Examples of sources for the second are: professor, employer/supervisor or colleague.
- Enrollment or acceptance letter from your institution verifying your status; this letter must specify acceptance/enrollment in a nursing education program in the Fall of 2023.
- Official transcripts from current and previous post-high school institutions;
- An essay, addressing how you intend to contribute to the profession of nursing and how you believe this degree will assist you to make this contribution. Essay must be typed, font size 12 and double-spaced. It must be at least one page, and not more than three pages in length.
Scholarship for Family Member of NYSNA Member seeking first degree
- Download: Secor Scholarship Application: Family Member (.pdf)
- Download: Scholarship Reference Sheet (.pdf)
- Spouse, domestic partner, dependent child or grandchild of current NYSNA member
- Acceptance to (or enrollment in) a college or university with an accredited nursing program, active in the Fall of 2024
- Maintenance in previous institution (last degree completed) of a minimum of a 3.4 cumulative GPA (out of 4.0).
If you are in high school, or you have completed high school only, the requirement is for maintenance of an average that is your high school’s equivalent of a 3.4 cumulative GPA (out of 4.0).
- Resume or curriculum vitae.
- Two references (reference form must be used) - examples of sources: guidance counselor, teacher, professor, employer, coach, community leader.
- Enrollment verification or acceptance letter from your institution verifying your status. This letter must specify acceptance/enrollment in a nursing education program in the Fall of 2024.
- Official transcripts from prior education. If you are in high school or you have completed high school only, submit high school transcript. All other applicants must submit official transcripts from current and previous educational institutions.
- An essay describing a significant experience or reason that has influenced your decision to seek a nursing degree. Essay must be typed, font size 12 and double-spaced. It must be at least one page, and not more than three pages in length.
Application Review Process
- Deadline for submission of applications is July 1, 2024.
- Completed applications MUST be emailed to Secor@nysna.org.
- Official transcripts may be e-mailed to Secor@nysna.org or mailed to:
New York State Nurses Association
Secor Scholarship Committee
131 West 33rd Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10001
(Transcripts must be OFFICIAL - only official transcripts generated by the educational institution, whether mailed or emailed, will be accepted. Applications printed by the applicant will NOT be accepted.)