New York law makes it a felony to assault a nurse. But still too many administrators and law enforcement officials don’t take adequate action when a nurse is assaulted.
Take these steps if you or a co-worker is assaulted:
- Report the assault to your supervisor right away. Make sure they fill out a report.
- Talk to your NYSNA rep and make sure that management and hospital security and make your game plan.
- Ask another nurse to help you out. In a difficult time, everyone needs an advocate.
- Schedule a visit with your own private physician.
- Don’t wait to press charges. You have the right to press charges later, but the longer you wait, the less likely law enforcement will take action.
- File a workers’ comp claim.