August 10, 2022 at 5:23 pm
On August 3rd, the DOH launched the health care worker bonus program (HCWB) that was won and budgeted for in the 2022-2023 NYS budget. Nurses and frontline healthcare workers who are eligible will soon be given paperwork by their employers and receive bonuses.
Who is eligible?
- The program requires employers to pay out bonuses to healthcare workers providing hands-on care and earning gross annual wages of $125,000 or less (including any differentials, but excluding any bonus or overtime pay) from all employers.
- It applies to both private and public sector facilities.
- NYSNA has submitted Requests for Information (RFIs) across the entire state to our employers. These RFIs will allow us to verify who is eligible and help dispute excluded members that we believe are eligible.
How much is the bonus?
- Total bonus amounts will vary from $1,000 to $3,000 total, depending on the hours worked.
- Payments will be made in two parts, for healthcare workers who work during both six-month vesting periods. The maximum bonus for a full-time employee in one six-month vesting period is $1,500. The full vesting schedule is available at https://on.ny.gov/3A9sijW
What is the process to receive the bonus?
- Bonuses are not optional – employers are required to submit reports to the state and make bonus payments to all eligible employees or face penalties including suspension from the Medicaid program.
- Your employer will ask you to sign an attestation regarding your eligibility—it is important to carefully review this before signing, as it is a legal document. Call your NYSNA rep with any questions.
What is the timeline?
- Most employers must submit information to the DOH by 9/2/22 regarding which employees are eligible for the first round of payments. The first payment (up to $1,500) is then due 30 days after your employer receives the state payment.
- Healthcare workers must be currently employed when the bonus is payable to receive it from the employer.
- UPDATED, Sept. 2, 2022: NYSNA Q and A - Health Care Worker Bonus
- UPDATED, Dec. 22, 2022: For more information, see the NYS DOH FAQ on the bonuses.