Welcome to the Labor Education page! Following is information about upcoming trainings. Please check back frequently, as we are always planning new offerings.
New Staffing Law: Accredited Workshops
Thanks to the new hospital staffing law, New York healthcare workers have a historic opportunity to negotiate and enforce improved staffing standards. Now every hospital in New York State must negotiate an enforceable staffing plan with a committee of their frontline caregivers. Join NYSNA for an interactive workshop and learn what’s in the law and the skills needed to organize with our co-workers in order to take advantage of these new rights and resources. Each session is 120 minutes and 2CH/.2 CEUs.
Implementing the Staffing Law: How Nurse Leaders Can Use Data and Collective Action to Achieve and Enforce Effective Staffing Plans
- Thursday, January 13, 2022, 12:00 - 2:00 PM | Online Registration, Informational Flier
- Tuesday, Febrauary 15, 2022, 7:30 - 9:30 PM | Online Registration, Informational Flier
- Tuesday, March 22, 2022, 3:00 - 5:00 PM | Online Registration, Informational Flier
Help train more member leaders at your hospital!
Nurse Leader Training has long been a resource for nurses who want to build union power, advocate for their patients, and make positive changes in their workplace.
In addition to the trainings below, which are open to all members of the union, we are able to provide tailored training, specific to your facility’s needs and availability.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information about specialized trainings.
Each class below is award 3.0CHs/0.3CEUS. Each part is accredited separately and can be taken independently; and the parts do not need to be taken in order. Flyers and registration links will be posted soon!
- Nurse Leader Training Part 1: The Responsibilities of Nurse Leaders to Advocate for Themselves and their Patients, Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM | Online Registration, Informational Flier (.pdf)
- Nurse Leader Training Part 2: Using Representational Rights Under the Contract to Improve Working Conditions, Monday, January 24, 2022, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM | Online Registration, Informational Flier (.pdf)
- Nurse Leader Training Part 3: Organizing Nurses for Collective Advocacy to Build Unity and Engage the Healthcare Worker Community, Thursday, February 10, 2022, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM | Online Registration, Informational Flier (.pdf)
- Nurse Leader Training Part 4: Advocating for Nurses’ and Patients’ Needs Through Effective Contractual Committees, Tuesday, March 1, 2022, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM | Online Registration, Informational Flier (.pdf)
If you are interested in setting up an educational session in your hospital, please contact NYSNA Labor Education at email@example.com.
Racial Justice Workshops
Last year, NYSNA’s Board of Directors adopted a racial justice framework calling for transformational education of the staff and membership, and for deep engagement in campaigns for racial justice in our facilities and in our communities. To that end, NYSNA has developed a racial justice curriculum, which we are offering to our member leaders starting later this winter. The goal is for participants to acquire a common framework and to learn the historical context that led to today's deep inequities and racial disparities in health outcomes of our patients and our communities. As a union committed to social movement and transformation, this is an exciting opportunity, through education and information-sharing, to collectively explore our experiences and build solidarity.
We are offering the training a few times early in 2022 in a six-hour format (in a single day) as well as in three-hour increments over two weeks:
- Thursday, February 17, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM (full day)
- Tuesday, March 8, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM and Tuesday, March 15, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM (two three-hour sessions over two weeks)
- Thursday, March 31, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM (full day)
Learn to handle common audio problems and how to be a participant (raise your hand, mute, use participant list, and chat). We'll schedule more training sessions soon!
Zoom Class Instructions (.pdf)
Please contact the NYSNA Labor Education department for information about future trainings: firstname.lastname@example.org.