New Staffing Law:
Thanks to the new hospital staffing law, New York healthcare workers have a historic opportunity to negotiate and enforce improved staffing standards. Now every hospital in New York State must negotiate an enforceable staffing plan with a committee of their frontline caregivers. Join NYSNA for an interactiveworkshop and earn what’s in the law and the skills needed to organize with our co-workers in order to take advantage of these new rights and resources. Each session is 120 minutes and 2CH/.2 CEUs.
Help train more member leaders at your hospital!
Nurse Leader Training has long been a resource for nurses who want to build union power, advocate for their patients, and make positive changes in their workplace.
In addition to the trainings below, which are open to all members of the union, we are able to provide tailored training, specific to your facility’s needs and availability.
Contact email@example.com for information about specialized trainings.
Each class below is award 3.0CHs/0.3CEUS. Each part is accredited separately and can be taken independently; and the parts do not need to be taken in order. Flyers and registration links will be posted soon!
- Nurse Leader Training Part 1: The Responsibilities of Nurse Leaders to Advocate for Themselves and their Patients, Wednesday, January 12, 2022, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM | Online Registration, Informational Flyer (.pdf)
- Nurse Leader Training Part 2: Using Representational Rights Under the Contract to Improve Working Conditions, Monday, January 24, 2022, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM | Online Registration, Informational Flyer (.pdf)
- Nurse Leader Training Part 3: Organizing Nurses for Collective Advocacy to Build Unity and Engage the Healthcare Worker Community, Thursday, February 10, 2022, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM | Online Registration, Informational Flyer (.pdf)
- Nurse Leader Training Part 4: Advocating for Nurses’ and Patients’ Needs Through Effective Contractual Committees, Tuesday, March 1, 2022, 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM | Online Registration, Informational Flyer (.pdf)
If you are interested in setting up an educational session in your hospital, please contact NYSNA Labor Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID Action Team Trainings
Last spring, during the peak of the pandemic, more than 400 NYSNA members from around the state participated in workshops to share strategies for collectively addressing the critical issues facing frontline nurses: lack of proper PPE and other Health and Safety protections, inadequate testing of staff and patients, inadequate staffing, and fair treatment.
With the resurgence bearing down on us, it’s more important than ever for members to be organized, informed and to take action. Sign up today for a COVID Action Team Trainings.
COVID Action Team: Getting Started
Learn how NYSNA members are using COVID Action Teams to get resources and information to nurses on their unit and organize with staff and leaders around Health and Safety and other critical COVID-19 issues. Check back often for upcoming workshops.
COVID Action Team: Advanced
Open to members who have completed COVID Action Team: Getting Started. Topics covered include:
- Getting members involved through one-on-one organizing conversations incl inoculating against boss tactics
- Identifying organizing issues that we can win while building the union
- Making a plan using escalating tactics
- Starting unit or hospital-wide communication networks, including managing contact info
- Building community support
- Preparing for meetings with management
- Using social media as an organizing tool
- Getting your message across: learning how to make effective flyers or social media posts
Contact email@example.com for more information about upcoming COVID Action Team Trainings!
Learn to handle common audio problems and how to be a participant (raise your hand, mute, use participant list, and chat). We'll schedule more training sessions soon!
Zoom Class Instructions (.pdf)
Please contact the NYSNA Labor Education department for information about future trainings: firstname.lastname@example.org.