Welcome to NYSNA's Labor Education page! Labor Education is education and training that teaches union members to think critically and to take action in the workplace, to build collective power and use that power for nurses, patients, and social justice.
We use a method called Popular Education which recognizes that our members enter the learning space with important experience, skills and knowledge. In our trainings participants build on that knowledge with new information, analysis, and an opportunity to practice skills in a supportive environment before applying them in the workplace. Popular Education also strives to create a learning environment that is democratic and challenges existing inequities so that all feel equally welcome to participate.
Trainings are in-person or on Zoom. They can be 30 minutes long, or run all day, or anything in-between. We can schedule them at times that work best for your members.
In addition to the course listings below, here is a list of additional topic and workshops we can offer. We are also available to develop new trainings or tailor existing trainings to support the needs of nurse members and staff. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to start planning your 2023 educational program!
Please check back often, as we are always planning new workshops and trainings.
Help train more member leaders at your hospital!
Nurse Leader Training has long been a resource for nurses who want to build union power, advocate for their patients, and make positive changes in their workplace. Click here for further details about the goals and purpose of the program. In addition to the trainings below, which are open to all members of the union, we are able to provide tailored trainings, specific to your facility’s needs and availability. Contact email@example.com for information about specialized trainings. Each class below is award 3.0CHs/0.3CEUS. Each part is accredited separately and can be taken independently; and the parts do not need to be taken in order.
- Nurse Leader Training Part 1: The Responsibilities of Nurse Leaders to Advocate for Themselves and Their Patients
- Nurse Leader Training Part 2: Using Representational Rights Under the Contract to Improve Working Conditions
- Nurse Leader Training Part 3: Organizing Nurses for Collective Advocacy to Build Unity and Engage the Healthcare Worker Community
- Nurse Leader Training Part 4: Advocating for Nurses’ and Patients’ Needs Through Effective Contractual Committees
SCHEDULE OF TRAININGS FOR 2023 | REGISTER HERE.
- SPRING series flyer
Four-part NLT series on Zoom on Thursdays: May 11, May 18, May 25 and June 1
- SUMMER series flyer
Four-part NLT service IN PERSON at NYCO: Tuesdays, July 11 (parts 1&2) & July 25 (parts 3&4)
- FALL series flyer
Four-part NLT series on Zoom on Wednesdays: Nov 8, Nov 15, Nov 29 and Dec 6
Please share widely with your coworkers & register here.
If you are interested in setting up an educational session in your hospital, please contact NYSNA Labor Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contract Action Team and Leadership Training
These trainings are intended to support bargaining across New York State. In these trainings members will:
- Learn tools to engage your co-workers, throughout your facility, to get them involved;
- Learn to prioritize the units you should spend more time on;
- Identify leaders;
- Help build the CAT and win a strong contract!
These trainings are offered on Zoom - you can view the flyer here. We can also offer them in-person, in your facility. Please contact us at email@example.com if you wish to discuss in-person training opportunities.
The series is set up in two sections: Overview and General Skill Building.
Overview Sessions cover:
- What is involved in building a contract campaign: from the elements of a well-organized workplace to escalating actions that engage more and more members.
- Roles & responsibilities of the Contract Action Team: how the CAT is key to building member power and being a bridge between the members and the bargaining table.
Four General Skills sessions:
- Mobilizing members through organizing conversations
- Rounding to build the contract campaign
- Evaluating our collective strength through mapping
- Using texting tools and social media to build the contract campaign
Please check back for future dates of CAT trainings or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule session at your facility.
Racial Justice Workshops
NYSNA has developed a racial justice curriculum, which we are offering to our member leaders. The goal is for participants to acquire a common framework and to learn the historical context that led to today’s deep inequities and racial disparities in health outcomes of our patients and our communities. As a union committed to social movement and transformation, this is an exciting opportunity, through education and information-sharing, to collectively explore our experiences and build solidarity.
Please check back for more dates in 2023!
For questions, please contact email@example.com.
Learn to handle common audio problems and how to be a participant (raise your hand, mute, use participant list, and chat). Please contact the NYSNA Labor Education department for questions and if you would like to schedule a training: firstname.lastname@example.org.