Welcome to the Labor Education page! Following is information about upcoming events. Please check back often, as we are always planning new workshops and trainings.
Contract Action Team and Leadership Training
These trainings are intended to support bargaining across New York State. In these trainings members will:
- Learn tools to engage your co-workers, throughout your facility, to get them involved;
- Learn to prioritize the units you should spend more time on;
- Identify leaders;
- Help build the CAT and win a strong contract!
Each session is offered multiple times on Zoom. Register here. Labor Ed can also do these trainings in-person, in your facility. Please contact us at email@example.com if you wish to discuss in-person training opportunities.
The series is set up in two sections: Overview and General Skill Building.
Overview Sessions cover:
- What is involved in building a contract campaign: from the elements of a well-organized workplace to escalating actions that engage more and more members.
- Roles & responsibilities of the Contract Action Team: how the CAT is key to building member power and being a bridge between the members and the bargaining table.
Four General Skills sessions:
- Mobilizing members through organizing conversations
- Rounding to build the contract campaign
- Evaluating our collective strength through mapping
- Using texting tools and social media to build the contract campaign
Each session is offered multiple times on Zoom. Register here.
Help train more member leaders at your hospital!
Nurse Leader Training has long been a resource for nurses who want to build union power, advocate for their patients, and make positive changes in their workplace. In addition to the trainings below, which are open to all members of the union, we are able to provide tailored training, specific to your facility’s needs and availability. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information about specialized trainings. Each class below is award 3.0CHs/0.3CEUS. Each part is accredited separately and can be taken independently; and the parts do not need to be taken in order.
- Nurse Leader Training Part 1: The Responsibilities of Nurse Leaders to Advocate for Themselves and Their Patients
- Nurse Leader Training Part 2: Using Representational Rights Under the Contract to Improve Working Conditions
- Nurse Leader Training Part 3: Organizing Nurses for Collective Advocacy to Build Unity and Engage the Healthcare Worker Community
- Nurse Leader Training Part 4: Advocating for Nurses’ and Patients’ Needs Through Effective Contractual Committees
If you are interested in setting up an educational session in your hospital, please contact NYSNA Labor Education at email@example.com.
Racial Justice Workshops
NYSNA has developed a racial justice curriculum, which we are offering to our member leaders. The goal is for participants to acquire a common framework and to learn the historical context that led to today’s deep inequities and racial disparities in health outcomes of our patients and our communities. As a union committed to social movement and transformation, this is an exciting opportunity, through education and information-sharing, to collectively explore our experiences and build solidarity.
We are offering the full training on the following days:
- Friday, September 16, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 29, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Learn to handle common audio problems and how to be a participant (raise your hand, mute, use participant list, and chat). Please contact the NYSNA Labor Education department for questions and if you would like to schedule a training: firstname.lastname@example.org.