Welcome to the Labor Education page! Following is information about upcoming trainings. Please check back frequently, as we are always planning new offerings.
COVID ACTION TEAM TRAININGS
Last spring, during the peak of the pandemic, more than 400 NYSNA members from around the state participated in workshops to share strategies for collectively addressing the critical issues facing frontline nurses: lack of proper PPE and other Health and Safety protections, inadequate testing of staff and patients, inadequate staffing, and fair treatment.
With the resurgence bearing down on us, it’s more important than ever for members to be organized, informed and to take action. Join us for COVID Action Team Trainings, beginning December 17.
COVID Action Team: Getting Started
Learn how NYSNA members are using COVID Action Teams to get resources and information to nurses on their unit and organize with staff and leaders around Health and Safety and other critical COVID-19 issues.
- Wednesday, January 27 | 8:00 PM - Register Here
COVID Action Team: Advanced
Open to members who have completed COVID Action Team: Getting Started. Topics covered include:
- Getting members involved through one-on-one organizing conversations incl inoculating against boss tactics
- Identifying organizing issues that we can win while building the union
- Making a plan using escalating tactics
- Starting unit or hospital-wide communication networks, including managing contact info
- Building community support
- Preparing for meetings with management
- Using social media as an organizing tool
- Getting your message across: learning how to make effective flyers or social media posts
Here are upcoming Advanced training workshops; register today!
- Wednesday, January 20 | 7:30 PM - Participants will be able to choose between “One on One Organizing Conversations” and “Taking Action: Escalation and Making an Organizing Plan” - Register Here
- Wednesday, February 3 | 4:00 PM - Participants will be able to choose between “One on One Organizing Conversations” and “Taking Action: Escalation and Making an Organizing Plan” - Register Here
- “Capture, Dilute, Exhaust: Ventilation to Protect Against Airborne Infectious Agents (SARS-CoV-2)” - COVID-19 laid bare key shortcomings in frontline healthcare worker’s protections. With respiratory protection front and center in terms of concern (and rightly so), ventilation is another central component of reducing airborne risks. What should facilities be doing to enhance ventilation, with a resurgence underway?
Learn to handle common audio problems and how to be a participant (raise your hand, mute, use participant list, and chat. Check back for upcoming training sessions.
- Zoom Class Instructions (.pdf)
Please contact the NYSNA Labor Education department for information about future trainings: email@example.com.